In Ayurveda, when major seasonal and elemental changes occur (Spring and Autumn), a cleanse is performed to help the body ease into the new season. During this time, food is simplified, a self-care practice is added, and spices and foods reflect the seasonal change. Moving from Pitta time of year (Heat) to Vata time of year (Dry/Cold), we start to incorporate warm grounding foods, gentle practices and moisture. While a Spring cleanse is generally 7 days, our Fall Cleanse is a shorter, more gentle cleanse.
Want to learn more about a Fall Ayurveda Cleanse? Check out our link to the right of this blog for self-care ideas, recipes and more.
It's time for our cleanse, and we are inviting you to participate! The Healthy Grocer has options for purchasing all self-care products and even your meals for the 4 day cleanse. Here's the schedule:
Friday, 10/7 SELF CARE PREP
1. Incorporate 1-2 self-care practices into your day. Examples:
Wake up before Kapha time of day (before or close to 6 A.M.)
Tongue scrape (before brushing teeth, using mouthwash and consuming any foods or liquids in morning)
Nasya Oil application
Move into, include or add a Gentle/Restorative Yoga asana practice to your day (include folds and twists)
Pranayama practice (Nadi Shodhana)
Turn off all electronics at least one hour before bed
Go to bed before Pitta time of day (before or close to 9 P.M.)
2. Join our Fall Cleanse Facebook page to share stories, get tips, recipes and more. https://www.facebook.com/healthyfallcleanse
Saturday, 10/8-Monday, 10/10 CLEANSE PREP
1. Begin an elimination (or reduction) of foods that are not highly nutritional or difficult for the body to process. Examples:
Caffeinated Drinks (Coffee, Tea)
Cold Foods (includes juices, smoothies and iced drinks)
2. Add 1-2 more self-care practices into your day.
3. Drink Hot Lemon Honey Water (first thing in the morning before drinking or eating any other foods or beverages) and throughout the day!
4. Drink room temperature or warm drinks.
Tuesday, 10/11-Friday, 10/14 CLEANSE TIME
1. Eat a mono diet with the 6 tastes. Examples:
Kitchari for breakfast
Kitchari and vegetables for lunch (root vegetables using the 6 tastes)
If snacking is a must-have, eat almonds that have been soaked and peeled.
2. Continue self-care practices.
3. Drink: Hot Lemon Honey Water, CCF Tea, other warming herbal teas (i.e. ginger), room temperature or warm water.
Saturday, 10/15-? (perhaps one week) POST CLEANSE
1. Slowly add foods back into your diet, one at a time or by color (i.e. dark leafy greens).
2. Continue any self-care practices you can commit to or enjoy.
3. Journal about your cleanse experience.
Want to order your Fall Cleanse package? Click here
As always, consult with your doctor before starting any new health regime, doing a cleanse, taking supplements and/or changing diets.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This cleanse and any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.